This is the earliest-known veduta by Brand Jr. in which the artist painted a realistic terrain. The painting shows a landscape with with the castle Devin (Děvín). The artist painted the canvas for Count Nicholas VIII Pálffy who owned the castle at the time. It may well be the case that the picture was created as part of a series of vedute showing views of Pálffy-owned territories. Brand entered the Count’s services in 1751, which suggests that the painting could have been produced in 1752/1753. Johann Christian, son and pupil of the landscape painter Christian Hilfgott Brand, contributed to the abandoning of idyllic sceneries and a shift towards a realistic depiction of the landscape.