The town of Tangier, a part of the dowry of Catherine of Braganza, is situated on the north-western extremity of Africa’s coast. Its history can be traced back to the second millennium B.C. Initially, it was a Phoenician trading post, later on a Carthaginian settlement, eventually it passed into Roman hands and finally it came under Arab control. In 1471, Tangier became a Portuguese dominion. Between 1661 and 1684, however, the port was a British colony, and the colonists engaged in grand strategic and commercial plans, coupled by hopes for new scientific discoveries in Africa. With enthusiasm, Hollar delved into portraying the unsightly seaport of Tangier, an endeavour that resulted in views that were far ahead of their time in terms of their character and artistic quality. During his nearly half-year sojourn in this African town, Hollar drew a number of views. After his return to England, the artist made etchings from some of the drawings which John Overton published in a series of views of Tangier.