The history of the Palace of Whitehall, the main residence of the British monarchy, goes back to the 13th century. However, the name "White Hall" was first used in the 1530s on account of its white ashlar stone used for the building. The palace underwent major reconstruction at the time the Banqueting House was built to it in 1622 to a design by architect Inigo Jones (1573-1652). Later, the palace was decorated with paintings by Peter Paul Rubens. For many years to come, this was the grandest palace structure in London.